Sunday, January 9, 2011

Schatzi

It has been almost six months since these kittens have come into my life. Before the kittens, my life was very simple. Wake up in the morning, go to the sandbox, paw the small human’s face to get it to pet me, eat, and then sleep in a sunny spot until the humans came home. After they arrived at home, more eating, some playing with toys, and so on.

That fateful summer afternoon changed my life forever. At first I could not understand the blocking of the kitchen that the bigger human did immediately after arriving home. The humans had been gone for many days and nights. They always came to say hello to me first but this time said hi to me only after blocking off the room, which seemed odd. Also odd was that the many things the humans bring in after they return from a long time away were not present.

After some time, the smaller human came in as well with the trap that I am put in to visit the doctor. Was that meowing I heard? No, it cannot be…or so I thought.

My fears were realized a week later when I first met the kittens. I had gone from getting all the attention to now having to share it with these kittens, very cute kittens. These little things smelled like poop, and their meows were very needy, loud, and shrill. Oh boy, this was going to take some getting used to, I thought to myself. One was very strange looking, the dark gray one, it looked like it was just a big head with paws. This one put a scare in me when he said something to the other one about “this one”, meaning me, maybe having some delicious milk for them. The only thing I remember about the rest of that day was hiding under the bed.

This went on as the days turned into weeks. This black one was not very bright; he once brought a chipmunk into the house! That was very gross, and is why I do not like going outside. Once the big human tried to bring me out with the kittens, and I peed on it as punishment. That was the last time the humans tried this, so I am sure that they got the point. The black one, Oscar, also jumps in the air and pees when he hears thunder. Sigh. The “great protector” he is not!

As the seasons changed, and the days grew cooler and shorter, the kittens were staying inside more often. I admit that they are beginning to grow on me, and there are times that I see them as being somewhat tolerable. This black one, Oscar, is more of a pain than his sister, Olivia. Oscar tries to jump on all the time, and steals food from everyone, including the humans. He has grown to be very big, but is overly playful most of the time and seems to always be hungry. My biggest problem with him is that he will jump on me without any notice. I want to be nice to him, but he is too crazy to trust right now. Maybe once his “traveling bags” as he calls them are removed, he will stop this behavior and behave like a proper house cat.

I see a little bit of myself in this Olivia. Although very whiny, she knows how to behave like a proper cat. Stay to yourself, do not approach me without permission, and to be blunt, stay out of my space. She does not fight for the human’s affections for the most part, unlike this Oscar. She knows the importance of slipping under the blankets to stay warm during this cold time of year, and properly covers up after herself in the sandboxes. Yes, in this one I see much potential.

I am curious to see what the next six months with these two will bring. I know from listening to the humans that both I and Oscar will have operations, mine on my aching teeth, and his to remove his traveling bags. If nothing else, I know that at minimum my life will be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment