Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bringing Home Pets

On a wonderful day a couple weeks ago, while sniffing around a tree with my sister, something moved in the tree that caught my eye. It was a lonely, little, chipmunk that appeared to have lost its way. It looked just like one of the toys my sister and I play with when we are in the house, so I stalked in for a closer look. Oh, it looked so delicious! The little thing stopped in its tracks, thanks to my sister’s wonderfully graceful tree climbing technique. I swear she could wake the dead with all the noise she makes in those branches.

Once the sound machine that is my sister moved on, the chipmunk began to move around again, looking for food I would imagine. To my surprise, it began to move right towards me! I slouched down in the shadows and waited. I could see it slowly but methodically moving down the trunk of the tree towards me, pausing to sniff the air on occasion. When it hit the ground, I knew it was mine! I pounced on it from my hiding place, and grabbed it in my mouth. It wiggled a bit, but eventually knew its fate was sealed. I finally had a pet of my own!

To celebrate this achievement, I walked through the neighborhood, strutting, proudly taking my prize home with me. When I arrived at home, though, the humans became very worried and started to chase me. Up the stairs I went, humans in tow, and when I dropped my prize, they went after it. Ahh, now I see, they want to play with my new pet, too. All of a sudden I was whisked away to a room and closed in by myself. I heard my pet and the humans running around for a bit, and then, just silence. When I was let out, my pet was gone. Sigh. Oh well, guess I will have to hide it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment